New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program
Through the New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program, also known as the NFLF program is offered to increase the number of nursing faculty members and adjunct clinical faculty teaching in the field of nursing in NYS. Awards are made annually to licensed registered nurses holding graduate degrees and who have taught in the field of nursing. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program.
In order to be eligible for the New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program, you will need to meet all of the following:
- Be a legal resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to applying for this program
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be a registered nurse professionally licensed to practice in NYS
- Possess a master’s degree in nursing or a doctoral degree for qualification as nursing faculty or as adjunct clinical faculty
- Have prior clinical experience as a licensed registered nurse
- Have an outstanding balance on eligible student loan debt
- Have qualified service
- employment as a nursing faculty member or as adjunct clinical faculty providing classroom or clinical instruction at a nursing school located in NYS for the equivalent of at least 12 credit hours during an annual period commencing July 1 and ending June 30
- Be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award
- Be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by an NYS award
For a further breakdown, head over to the following program page.
Eligible Student Loans
A successful applicant must have an outstanding balance on eligible student loan debt, used to fund a nursing degree, disbursed on or after January 1, 2001.
Eligible student loans include NYS or federal government loans, or private student loans made by commercial entities subject to governmental examination. This does not, however, include Parent PLUS loans and Perkins Loans.
Ineligible loans also include non-educational student loan consolidations and home equity loans used to pay off student loans.
What is the award amount?
Through the New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program, applicants may be able to receive up to $26,000 towards their student loans annually. Awards will be paid in the amount of $8,000 for each annual period of qualified service completed, or the applicant’s actual eligible student loan indebtedness at the time eligibility is established, whichever is less. Any additional payments made to reduce the outstanding balance may cause a reduction in the total amount of the award.
What loans are eligible?
All of the below loans will qualify for this program:
• Stafford loans
• Grad PLUS loans
• Consolidation loans
• NY student loans
• Private student loans
Note: Your loans must have been used to fund a nursing degree received after January 1, 2001.
How to and when to apply?
The deadline for the NYS Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program has passed.
Applications for the next series will be available in August 2019.
Note: A previously designated recipient does not have to submit another NYS Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program Application but must request payment each year; see Payment below.
The number of awards paid under this Program is limited to available funding. A recipient is not guaranteed payment in each following year, priority is given to prior recipients. If there are more applicants than available funding, recipients will be determined by lottery.
The NYS Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness (NFLF) Incentive Program Application is used to establish an applicant’s eligibility as well as to process the first award payment.
In subsequent years, a recipient must submit a Payment Application and verification of the qualified service for which payment is sought under this Program by the deadlines set by HESC. Payment Applications will be provided annually to recipients in August.
Please contact the Scholarship Unit at [email protected] or 888-697-4372 with any questions regarding this Program.
For a full program breakdown or any additional program questions, please go to the official program page.
If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.