If you currently reside in Maine, you may want to take a look into the Educators for Maine Loan Forgiveness Program. Through this program, qualifying applicants may be able to have one year of their loan forgiven for each year of eligible services as a teacher, speech pathologist, or child care provider. Continue reading to fund out how you can qualify for this great program.
You will qualify for Educators for Maine Loan Forgiveness Program through the following programs;
- Educators who are:
- Certified by the Maine Department of Education
- Employed at a qualifying school
- Employed as an elementary or secondary teacher, specialized subject teacher, vocational or industrial arts teacher including the following:
- Classroom teacher
- Itinerant teacher
- Guidance counselor
- Librarian-media specialist
- Special education teacher
- Special teacher of reading
- Speech pathologist/therapist
- Chapter 1 tutor
- Jobs for Maine’s Graduates specialists with appropriate certification
- Child care providers who:
- Received a degree or certificate from a child care development program.
- Are employed at an eligible child care facility.
As a side note, return service must be performed within five years of graduation or completion of certification coursework. For a full breakdown of careers go here.
How much should be expected through his award?
If selected for this reward, you are generally eligible for up to one year of loan forgiveness. In certain situations, borrowers will be eligible for up to two years of their loans to be forgiven for each year of eligible service they provide. This includes teaching, speech pathology and in underserved areas.
How to apply?
In order to apply for the Educators for Maine Loan Forgiveness Program, you will want to head over to the following link. Through the Maine website, you will able to see what will qualify you as applicable. You can also see the full brochure for Maine to find out additional details on what is required in order to fully qualify.