Texas Student Loan Repayment Programs for Healthcare Professionals
Through the Texas Student Loan Repayment Programs for Healthcare Professionals, qualified applicants may be eligible to qualify for up to $2,500 to be used towards repaying their student loans. The purpose of the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program (TFTLRAP) is to recruit and retain certified classroom teachers in fields and communities that have a shortage of teachers in Texas. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the Texas Student Loan Repayment Programs for Healthcare Professionals.
- Be certified in a shortage teaching field, be currently teaching full time in that field at the time of application, and have taught in that field full time for at least one year at the preschool, primary, or secondary level in a Texas public school; or
- Be a certified educator currently teaching in a shortage community full time at the time of application at the preschool, primary, or secondary level and have taught in that community full time for at least one year.
* NOTE: Title I designation is not a criterion for determining shortage campuses.
Designated Shortage Fields for 2018-2019
- Bilingual/English as a Second Language (Grades PK-12)
- Career and Technical Education (including Technology Applications and Computer Science) (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Special Education (Grades PK-12)
For additional details, including priority of application acceptance and ranking, please review the administrative rules for the program.
How much can I expect to be awarded?
Through the Texas Student Loan Repayment Programs for Healthcare Professionals, applicants may qualify for a maximum of $2,500 on your student loans. Loan repayment assistance received through this program will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service.
What loans qualify for this program?
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Consolidation loans
- Perkins loans
Your loans must also meet the following:
- Must be evidenced by a promissory note which required the loan proceeds to be used to pay for the cost of attendance for the undergraduate or graduate education of the teacher applying for repayment assistance;
- Must not be in default at the time of the teacher’s application; and
- Must not have an existing obligation to provide service for loan forgiveness through another program.
How do I apply for this repayment program?
The application period for teachers for the 2018-2019 school year is now closed. The deadline for principals or other authorized officials to submit the employment verification portion of the application is Friday, June 28, 2019, at 5:00 PM CST.
Head over to the program website here for a full breakdown of this year’s requirements and application guidelines.
If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.