Through the Teach For Teach Iowa Scholar Program, qualified applicants may be eligible to receive up to $4000 towards their student loans per year for up to 5 years. Qualified teachers are those currently teaching in designated shortage areas who meet all of the eligibility criteria below. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the Teach Iowa Scholar Program.
- Graduate from a teacher preparation program on/after January 1, 2013 (including undergraduate, masters or intern programs)*
- Only teachers who complete a bachelor’s or master’s teacher preparation program on/after January 1, 2013, are eligible; completing coursework to add an endorsement to your teaching license does not qualify.*
- Graduate in the top 25% academically of all teacher preparation program graduates during the academic year in which you graduated. ‘Top 25% academically’ is defined and certified by the college/university from which you graduated.
- Secure full-time employment for the 2019-20 school year in a designated shortage area at a school district, area education agency, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school recognized and approved by the Iowa Department of Education.
- Have an Iowa teaching license and the corresponding endorsement of the shortage area in which you teach.
- Submit the TIS application by November 15, 2019.
- Teaching assignment code must be an eligible BEDS code.
*Due to funding limitations, only applications from 2017/18 and 2018/19 graduates are being solicited for the 2019-20 application cycle.
How much can I expect to be awarded?
Through the Teach Iowa Scholar Program, applicants may qualify for a maximum of $4000 per year for a total of 5 years (full-time employment) to use towards their student loans.
- Sent to your lender as a lump-sum payment toward your outstanding federal student loan balance, or
- Sent as a lump-sum payment to you. Payments issued to individuals are considered taxable income and the State of Iowa will issue a 1099 MISC to you for tax filing purposes.*
*You may want to consider the Pay Me option if you are trying to qualify for any other loan forgiveness program.
For a full breakdown of this program’s terms and conditions, please head over to the following page.
How do I apply for this repayment program?
The application for the 2019-20 academic year will open on September 1. Apply on or after that date. You can apply through the following link. For more information on this program, head over to the official Teach Iowa Scholar Program site.[email protected]475 SW Fifth St., Suite D
Des Moines, IA 50309