Through the Pennsylvania Primary Health Care Loan Repayment Program, qualified applicants may be able to qualify for student loan forgiveness in exchange for working in areas of shortage. The Department of Health provides loan repayment opportunities as an incentive to recruit and retain primary care practitioners willing to serve underserved Pennsylvania residents and to make a commitment to practicing in federally designated Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the Pennsylvania Primary Health Care Loan Repayment Program.
In order to be eligible for the Pennsylvania Primary Health Care Loan Repayment Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Allopathic (MD) or Osteopathic (DO) Physicians (Family Medicine, General Internal Medicine, General Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Psychiatry);
- Certified Registered Nurse Practitioners ( Adult, Family, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Women’s Health, Mental Health/Psychiatry);
- General Dentists;
- Registered Dental Hygienists;
- Certified Nurse-Midwives;
- Physician Assistants (Adult, Family, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Women’s Health,
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers;
- Licensed Professional Counselors;
- Marriage and Family Therapists; and
For a full breakdown of the Pennsylvania Primary Health Care Loan Repayment Program’s offerings head over to their official program website.
How much can I expect to be awarded?
Through the Pennsylvania Primary Health Care Loan Repayment Program, Physicians and Dentists may be able to receive up to $100,000 over a span of 2 years if they are full-time and up to $50,000 if they are part-time/half-time. All other Practitioners may be able to receive $60,000 for full-time and up to $30,000 for part-time/ half-time.
Full-time and Half-time Two-Year Contracts:
Physicians and Dentists: Up to $100,000 full-time, up to $50,000 half-time
Other Practitioners: Up to $60,000 full-time, up to $30,000 half-time
For a full breakdown of this programs offers, head over to their website.
How do I apply for this repayment program?
In order to apply for the Pennsylvania Primary Health Care Loan Repayment Program, you will need to complete the following:
Practitioner applicants will not be able to complete an application until their employer has submitted a Loan Repayment Practice Site Application and it has been approved by the department.
- LRP Practice Site Application (online)
- LRP Practice Site Reference Guide (PDF)
- Behavioral Health Services Checklist (Word)
- LRP Approved Practice Sites as of 1/25/19 (PDF)
If you have any additional questions regarding this program you can fill out this contact form.