Through the North Dakota Science Technology Engineering And Mathematics (STEM) Occupations Student Loan Program, qualifying applicants may be able to qualify for student loan forgiveness of up to $6,000 per year for up to 4 years. If you studied and work in science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) in North Dakota, then you may be eligible for loan repayment assistance. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the North Dakota Science Technology Engineering And Mathematics (STEM) Occupations Student Loan Program.
In order to be eligible for the North Dakota Science Technology Engineering And Mathematics (STEM) Occupations Student Loan Program, you will need to meet all of the following:
- Graduated from a high school in this state (ensure your high school name, city and state is listed on your FAFSA);
- Graduated from a high school in a bordering state pursuant to N.D.C.C. ch. 15.1-29; (contact the NDUS at [email protected] to inquire on eligibility);
- Graduated from a nonpublic high school in a bordering state while residing with a custodial parent in this state (contact the NDUS at [email protected] to inquire on eligibility);
- Completed a program of home education supervised in accordance with N.D.C.C. ch. 15.1-23 (send your final high school transcript showing your high school courses taken to NDUS);
- Received a general educational development high school diploma (GED) from the North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction (send your final earned GED certificate to NDUS).
Applicants who, because of a medically certifiable disability, may enroll at an accredited institution of higher education outside of North Dakota which offers the individual special services or facilities not available in this state, provided the institution offers a program of instruction equal to at least two academic years.
For a further breakdown, head over to the following program page.
What is the award amount?
Through the North Dakota Science Technology Engineering And Mathematics (STEM) Occupations Student Loan Program, applicants may be able to receive you can receive up to $1,500 for four years, with a maximum total of $6,000.
For a full disclosure regarding award amounts please check out the program page.
Which loans qualify?
• Stafford loans
• Grad PLUS loans
• Consolidation loans
• Perkins loans
• Loans from the Bank of North Dakota
How to and when to apply?
The application is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible each year beginning October 1st. Please contact the NDUS with any questions on your eligibility at [email protected] or 701-328-4156.
Where to mail supporting documentation (GED or final homeschool transcript):
600 E. Boulevard Ave., Dept. 21
Bismarck, ND 58505-0602
For more information, head over to the programs official website here.