The North Carolina LEAF Loan Repayment Assistance Program sponsors a loan repayment assistance program to encourage and enable law school graduates to enter and remain in the public service sector. The program provides forgivable loans to assist public interest attorneys with law school debt repayment. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the North Carolina LEAF Loan Repayment Assistance Program.
In order to be eligible for the North Carolina LEAF Loan Repayment Assistance Program, you will need to meet all of the following:
- An Applicant must have earned a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school within the past ten years and be a licensed member in good standing of the North Carolina State Bar.
- Document full-time employment in a law-related public service job in North Carolina. Qualifying employment includes a federal, state or local government agency, an organization providing legal services to the poor and a Section 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization. Judicial clerkships do not qualify.
- NC LEAF is intended to be a program of last resort, and Applicants eligible for loan repayment funds from other sources must apply first to these programs for assistance. Awards will be coordinated with the recipient’s law school or employer loan repayment assistance program (LRAP).
- Annual gross income from all sources does not exceed $50,000 for a single person or $90,000 jointly.
- Applicants must have a monthly loan repayment amount from their law school loan provider
For a further breakdown, head over to the following program page.
What is the award amount?
Through the North Carolina LEAF Loan Repayment Assistance Program, applicants may be able to receive up to $4800 per year towards their student loans. Individual LRAP loan amounts are up to $400 per month but will not exceed the total monthly payments that are due and payable on all loans.
For a full disclosure regarding award amounts please check out the program page.
How to and when to apply?
Funding is available for public interest attorneys in Mecklenburg County. A gift from the C.D. Spangler Foundation makes this loan repayment assistance program possible for 2019. Please contact [email protected] for details.
NC LEAF administers the Legal Aid of North Carolina loan repayment program for its employees. This partnership has been in effect since 2007. Enrollment for assistance is on a rolling basis after the successful completion of six months of employment. The application process is detailed under the Applicants tab.
NC LEAF will provide assistance to qualifying prosecutors, public defenders and legal services providers with an open application period IF new funding is available.
For more information, head over to the programs official website here.