North Carolina Forgivable Education Loans for Service
The North Carolina Forgivable Education Loans for Service Program offers financial assistance to qualified students enrolled in an approved education program and committed to working in critical employment shortage professions in North Carolina. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and the application process for the North Carolina Forgivable Education Loans for Service.
In order to be eligible for the North Carolina Forgivable Education Loans for Service Program, you will need to meet all of the following:
- Be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes
- At the time of application, present a cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of:
- 3.00 for graduating high school students (weighted GPA)
- 2.80 for undergraduate students pursuing an associate or bachelor’s degree
- 3.20 for students pursuing a graduate or professional degree
- Register with the Selective Service System, if required;
- Recipients must not be in default or do not owe a refund, under any federal or state loan or grant program
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the enrolling policy of the institution.
- Be willing to work in NC in a designated critical employment shortage profession (careers corresponding with a FELS Approved Program)
- Must plan to enroll in at least six credit hours in an Approved Program at an Eligible Institution
Note: You do not have to be admitted to the program when you apply, but you must be admitted prior to receiving funding if selected.
For a further breakdown, head over to the following program page.
What is the award amount?
Through the North Carolina Forgivable Education Loans for Service Program, applicants may be able to receive up to $56,000 towards their student loans depending on their program. Below you will find a breakdown of the award amounts that you may qualify for:
|Certificate, Associate, and Bachelor’s Degree Programs|
|Credits||Certificate and/or Associate Degree||Bachelor’s Degree:
Freshmen* and Sophomores
Juniors and Seniors
|Max Total Loan Limits||$6,000||$20,000|
|Master’s and Doctoral Degree Programs|
|Credits||Master’s Degree||Doctoral Degree|
|Max Total Loan Limits||$20,000||$56,000|
Please Note: FELS recipients must be enrolled for at least six credit hours each semester to qualify for funding for undergraduate or graduate programs. The award amount will be pro-rated based on the chart above.
How to and when to apply?
To apply for the North Carolina Forgivable Education Loans for Service, you will need to submit an application through the following link. Please note that for bachelor’s degree programs, priority is given to juniors and seniors who have been accepted into the program (or who will be accepted by the start of the fall semester).
For more information regarding this program, please head over to the official program website here.
If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.