New Mexico Public Service Loan Law Repayment Program
The New Mexico Public Service Loan Law Repayment Program offers legal education loan repayment awards to attorneys that provide legal services to low income or underserved residents of New Mexico. Applicants may qualify for up to $7,200 per year towards their student loan debt. Read on to see eligibility requirements, award amounts, and application process for the New Mexico Public Service Loan Law Repayment Program.
In order to be eligible for the New Mexico Public Service Loan Law Repayment Program, you will need to meet all of the following:
- Annual salary may not exceed $75,000 (effective July 1, 2018 the maximum allowable annual salary will increase to $75,000).
- Licensed to practice in New Mexico as an attorney and shall declare intent to practice as an attorney in public service employment in New Mexico.
- Have student loans that were obtained for legal education expenses that are not in default (past or present).
- Must have applied to all available legal educational loan repayment programs offered by the applicant’s law school for which the applicant qualifies.
- Must be employed as an attorney at an eligible employment site (Note: Individuals with an official job offer may apply).
- This is a service-based program, which requires a three (3) year commitment to work in Public Service Law. Past program participants may be eligible for renewal.
For a further breakdown, head over to the following program page.
What is the award amount?
Through the New Mexico Public Service Loan Law Repayment Program, applicants may be eligible for up to $7,200.00 per year.
How to apply?
Below find information regarding how to apply for the New Mexico Public Service Loan Law Repayment Program:
The application will be available on this page starting October 1, 2019. The application will close on December 1, 2019.
- Complete the LRAP application packet (Apply Here).
- Submit a complete application packet and all supporting documents to:
The New Mexico Higher Education Department
Financial Aid Division
2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100
For a full program breakdown or any additional program questions, please go to the official program page.
If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.