Kansas Rural Opportunity Zones Program
Through the Kansas Rural Opportunity Zones Program, qualifying applicants who work in rural areas across the state of Kansas may be eligible to up to $15,000 in student loan repayment. Continue reading to see if you reside in a county that offers this unique perk.
To be eligible for Student Loan Repayments, individuals must:
- Establish domicile* in a ROZ County after July 1, 2011, AND on or after the date on which the County opts-in to the student loan program
- Hold an associate’s, bachelor’s or post-graduate degree prior to moving to the ROZ County
- Have an outstanding student loan balance in the applicant’s name
- Ability to provide proof of residency at current and previous addresses, Degree, and student loan balance with distribution dates
- Have a Sponsor, Counties and Employers can sponsor applicants in this program. the Applicant must have a sponsor to receive funding
What is the award amount?
Through the Kansas Rural Opportunity Zones Program you will be eligible for up to $15,000 towards your student loans. $15,000 is the maximum you can qualify for over a 5 year period.
How to apply?
To apply for the Kansas Rural Opportunity Zones Program, you will need to complete a few additional documentation:
Applications for Student Loan Repayment are accepted from Jan. 1st through Sept. 30th.
How to Get Started With Student Loan Repayment Assistance.
Required Documents must be emailed to [email protected]
1. Student Loan Repayment Application – application process undergoing maintenance until March 11.
2. Valid Personal Identification (Driver’s License, State ID, ETC.)
3. Proof of previous address before moving to the ROZ County
4. Proof of ROZ County residency
5. Transcripts with degree and date earned listed
6. Proof of student loan balance with distribution dates
7. Know who your sponsor is: County or Employer. To find out if your county has funding available for new applicants please contact your County Clerk or local Economic Development Office.
We will ask for these additional items when you are approved for the program.
To be eligible for Kansas Income Tax Waivers, individuals must have:
- Established domicile in a ROZ county on or after the date the county became part of the program (Please note that these dates vary by county.)
- Lived outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing domicile in a ROZ county
- Earned less than $10,000 in Kansas Source Income in each of the five years immediately prior to establishing domicile in a ROZ county
- To receive the income tax waiver you must file your state taxes on the Kansas Department of Revenue website
The Department of Commerce does not manage the State Income Tax Exemption, for more information about the State Income Tax Exemption, click here or contact:
Kansas Department of Revenue
Office of Policy and Research
Student Loan Repayment Application Questions
Student Loan Repayment Payment Questions
If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.