Through the Hawaii State Loan Repayment Program qualifying applicants are eligible for a significant amount of compensation towards student loan repayment. This program covers a wide range of majors and fields. Read on to find out more about what is required to be eligible for this program.
In order to qualify as eligible, you will need to meet the following standards. This program covers many different fields. SLRP participants must have completed training in an accredited graduate training program in, and possess an active and valid license (without restrictions or encumbrances) to practice in one of the following eligible disciplines, These fields will be listed below:
- *MD: Allopathic Medicine
- *DO: Osteopathic Medicine
- DDS/DMD: General and Pediatric Dentistry
- *NP: Nurse Practitioner
- CNM: Certified Nurse-Midwife
- *PA: Physician Assistant
- RDH: Registered Dental Hygienist
- *HSP: Health Service Psychologist (Clinical and Counseling)
- LCSW: Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- PNS: Psychiatric Nurse Specialist
- LPC: Licensed Professional Counselor
- MFT: Marriage and Family Therapist
- RN: Registered Nurse
- Pharm: Pharmacist
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselors licensed/credentialed/certified by their state of practice that meet educational requirements and master’s degree requirement
*Matching state funding provided. Please call (808) 652-1060 for clarification.
Approved Primary Care Specialties for Physicians:
- Family Medicine (and osteopathic general practice)
- Internal Medicine
General Practitioners (physicians who have not completed residency training programs) are not eligible for funding under SLRP.
Approved Primary Care Specialties for Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants:
- Psychiatry/mental health
- Women’s health
Practice Site Eligibility
All HiSLRP sites are required to be public or nonprofit private entities located in and providing health services in HPSAs that see all patients regardless of their ability to pay, accept Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program, charge for their professional services at the usual and customary prevailing rates in the area in which such services are provided, except that if a person is unable to pay such charge, such person shall be charged at a reduced rate or not charged any fee. In the Hawaii State Loan Repayment Program, the following list of organizations is an example of those eligible for National Health Scholarship Loan Repayment program and are located in HPSAs are eligible.
Site types that will be supported by the program include:
Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)
- Community Health Centers
- Migrant Health Centers
- Homeless Programs
- Public Housing Programs
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Certified Rural Health Clinics
Community Outpatient Facilities
Community Mental Health Facilities
State and County Health Department Clinics
Immigration and Customs Enforcement Health Service Corps
Critical Access Hospitals affiliated with a qualified outpatient clinic
Long-term Care Facilities
State Mental Health Facilities
Tribally-Operated 638 Health Programs
Correction or Detention Facilities (federal and state)
Private Practices (solo or group) that are in HPSAs and meet criteria
Criteria for HiSLRP sites:
- Public and non-profit private entities located in and providing health care services in HPSAs.
- HPSA status will be confirmed by site or census track identified on hpsafind.hrsa.gov at time of application cycle closure.
- HPSA type must correspond with the healthcare provider type.
- All sites must charge for professional services at the usual and customary prevailing rates.
- Each site provides discounts for individuals with limited incomes (i.e., use a sliding fee scale). And provide care at no charge for those with annual incomes at or below 100 percent of the HHS Poverty Guidelines- sites must ensure that practice sites provide services at no charge or at a nominal charge. For individuals between 100 and 200 percent of the HHS Poverty Guidelines, practice sites will provide a schedule of discounts, which should reflect a nominal charge coverage from a third party (either public or private) and may charge for services to the extent that payment will be made by the third party.
A 2-year commitment of service at HSLRP sites is required. HSLRP sites are public or non-profit private entities located in and providing health services in health professional shortage areas, known as HPSA’s. HPSA’s are defined by the federal government as having shortages of primary medical care, dental or mental health providers and may be geographic, demographic or institutional. These areas include federally-qualified health centers, rural health clinics, critical access hospitals, long-term care facilities, community outpatient facilities, free clinics, school-based health clinics, state or federal correctional facilities and solo or group practices.
To learn more about HPSA’s, visit: http://hpsafind.hrsa.gov/
HSLRP sites or other donors will have to provide matching funds equal to half of the award. Please see the application for more details. We rely on community partners and residents to make this program possible. If you would like to help, please click the button below.
How to apply?
In order to apply for Hawaii State Loan Repayment Program, you will need to meet the above qualifications. If you meed the above, you can apply via their application here. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Kelley Withy, Director, Hawaii State Loan Repayment Program: [email protected].
For more information on the programs and additional qualification requirements, please head here.