False Student Loan Certification Due to Identity Theft

October 18, 20180

Have you recently had your identity stolen? Did someone take out student loans in your name without your permission? If you answered yes to both of these questions, you may want to take a look into the False Student Loan Certification Due to Identity Theft. Through this program, qualifying applicants may be able to have up to 100% of their student loans discharged if the loans were taken out unlawfully. Continue reading to see if how to file for this status.


In the event that the person who stole your identity was convicted of the crime, you may qualify as eligible for this program. You must also submit and file a police report among various other pieces of evidence to show that your identity was stolen. This may mean that you will need to supply the U.S. Department of Education with additional documentation to prove that you did not take out the student loans yourself, and someone else took them out for you.

Along with providing the above evidence, you may also be required to help with any additional information including the proceedings related to the investigation and/or prosecution of the identity theft.

  • Note you will only be able to file for this status on loans received on or after July 1, 2006.

How much can I expect to get awarded?

Upon meeting the above requirements, you may be eligible to have up to 100% of your student loans discharged. Apply below to see if you qualify.

What Loans Qualify?

The following loans qualify for False Student Loan Certification Due to Identity Theft:

• Stafford loans
• Grad PLUS loans
• Parent PLUS loans
• Consolidation loans
• Perkins loans

For more information on this program please read the how to apply section below.

How to apply?

In order to apply for the False Student Loan Certification Due to Identity Theft, you will need to look into filling out an identity theft report, you will also want to look into filing a police report, and finally, you will also want to contact your student loan holder or servicer.


If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.