Through the California State Student Loan Repayment Program, eligible applicants may qualify for significant financial aid toward their student loan debt. This program focuses on the healthcare field and specifically service in areas of need and shortage. If you are looking to serve your community in California and looking at options to help reduce your student loan debt, this may be the program to help you.
Through this program, there are quite a few different requirements that you will need to meet in order to fully qualify for this program. These requirements are on both the Provider side and Eligible Disciplines side of things. A few things to consider prior to applying.
Both will be broken down below;
- Be a U.S. citizen (U.S. born or naturalized)
- Possess a valid and unrestricted license to practice your profession in California
- Be free from judgments arising from federal debt
- Not have any other existing service obligations with other entities
- Not be in breach of any other health professional service obligation
- Be current on any child support payments
- Be employed at or have accepted employment at an SLRP approved Practice Site (See Practice Site Eligibility section for more details)
- Commit to providing a 2-year full-time (40 hrs./week) or a 4-year half-time (20 hrs./week) service obligation (See service commitment and awards section for more details)
- Medicine (MD/DO)
- Family Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Pediatrics
- General Psychiatrist
- Dentist (DMD/DDS)
- Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Primary Care Physician Assistant (PA)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
- Licensed Mental Health or Behavioral Health Professionals
- Health Service Psychologist (HSP), formerly Clinical or Counseling Psychologist
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Mental Health Counselor (MHC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
For a full list of breakdowns regarding this program please head to their website.
How much should be expected through his award?
Through this reward, qualifying applicants may qualify for up to $110,000 through this student loan repayment program. Depending on the extent of the loan, you will receive different amounts towards your student loans. For example, a $50,000 maximum will be awarded for a 2-year commitment, up to $20,000 per year when working on a 3 to 4-year commitment, and $10,000 maximum per year in the event of a 5 – 6-year commitment. In the event that you are not working full time, the amounts that you see listed above will generally be about half.
What Loans Qualify?
The following loans will qualify for this student loan repayment program:
• Stafford loans
• Grad PLUS loans
• Consolidation loans
• Perkins loans
• Private student loans
How to apply?
In order to apply for this loan program, you will need to apply through the CA.gov website. To apply for this program please click here.