California Mental Health Loan Assumption Program
Through the California Mental Health Loan Assumption Program, qualifying applicants may qualify for up to $10,000 in student loan repayment assistance. This is done in exchange for a 12-month service obligation in areas which the state finds either hard to fill or retain within the county PMHS. Read on to find out how this program may be able to assist in tackling your student loan debt.
In general, the counties who work with this program indicate who can be eligible for this program. They indicate that the program generally works with the following individuals, however, they do state that it is not limited to just these practices:
Counties determine which professions are eligible for their County’s hard-to-fill or retain positions. Some of the eligible professions include, but are not limited to;
- Registered or Licensed Psychologists
- Registered or Licensed Psychiatrists
- Postdoctoral Psychological Assistants
- Postdoctoral Psychological Trainees
- Registered or Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists
- Registered or Licensed Clinical Social Workers
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor Interns
- Registered or Licensed Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners in California.
- Support, managerial and/or fiscal staff may be eligible.
How much should be expected through his award?
This loan has a maximum loan repayment of $10,000, however, there is not a guarantee that you will get the loan maximum as there are multiple factors that contribute to the loan amount. In exchange for the loan award amount, the applicant must do a 12-month service obligation that is hard to fill or retain that works alongside the county PMHS.
How to apply?
In order to apply for this program, you will need to apply through the following CALReach link. Please note that for this program you will need to make sure that you apply early, as there is a NO Exception late policy. Applying early is recommended for this program. For a full disclosure of additional details regarding this program please head to the FAQs page or the office applications page.
If you still have questions or would like to know more information please reach out to us here or you can go back to the Student Loan Repayment Assistance Programs page.